Baby Food for baby
Introduce apricots to your baby from about 6 months of age. Apricots are delicious and a good source of nutrition.
Apricots are good for baby (and you):
Apricots contain nutrients that offer a real boost to immunity. They have high levels of vitamin C, lycopene and beta carotene (vitamin A.) – offering some of the best defences against heart disease and some cancers in later life.
Hints on buying and storing:
- Buy fresh apricots that are plump and orange-yellow to orange in colour – any greenish colour and they will not ripen.
- They should be fairly soft, yet still a little firm – never ‘squashy’
- Fresh apricots should be eaten as soon as possible.
- Store in a cool place, or for up to a week in a refrigerator.
- If apricots are hard, place in a paper bag to ripen over one or two days.
- To freeze fresh apricots, cut them in half and remove the stone, then place on a flat baking sheet; once frozen, store in a labelled freezer bag.
- Baking retains sweetness and nutrients. Wash apricots, cut in half, and remove stones (pits), then bake in a shallow ovenproof dish with a little water for a short while until soft.
- Or steam apricots over boiling water (or place into a little boiling water for a few minutes) then remove and run under cold water – the skins will slip off easily.
Ways of including apricots in baby’s meals:
- Mix pureed cooked apricots with homemade baby cereals – rice, oatmeal, barley, mixed grain.
- Add to pureed cooked sweet potato, carrots, summer squash, or zucchini (courgette)
- Add to pureed cooked chicken, beef or lamb.
- Mix with other fruit purees – banana, pear, peach, avocado, blueberries.
- Use in healthy cake or teething biscuit recipes.
- Stir into plain yogurt.
Remember: Always consult your baby’s paediatrician or doctor about introducing new foods.
This information presented to you acts as a guide which contains researched information only and is not intended to replace advice from a qualified health professional.
More about Baby RecipesAt babyrecipes.org there is lots of very useful information that is right here on our baby recipes website. There are easy to use baby food guides, making baby food and related topics to help you feed your baby with lots of care. There is a wide range of baby food information available to you which will better inform you when it comes to the health and safety of your baby. Learn about what baby food you should introduce to your baby and at what age. Find out more about what the benefits of individual baby food and how they can be good for your baby.
There is a great range of baby recipes for you to choose from. The baby recipes are easy to find and easy to follow with step by step instructions. When cooking food for baby you only want the best naturally. Our baby recipes provides the best food baby will need, full of nutrition and well balanced. Having a baby is an all consuming experience and this baby recipes website has been put together to help parents have a great resource to refer to as a guide or when you want to cook up tasty baby food from one of our baby recipes for your baby.