Baby Food for baby
Sweet, delicious cherries are ideal for baby at about 8 months old – they are harder for a younger baby to digest. Take great care with stones (pits) though, and the skins can sometimes be tough so you may prefer to puree them.
Cherries are good for baby (and you)
A ‘super food’, cherries are packed with goodness and have low allergy risk. A major benefit is their high calcium content – vital for strong bone and tooth development.
Hints on buying and storing
- Cherries are not one of the ‘dirty dozen’, so buying organic is optional.
- Cherries should have no discolouration and look fresh and shiny – dull fruit could be on the verge of rotting.
- Always refrigerate – cherries are sensitive to temperature fluctuation.
- They freeze well, but stones must be removed (use a cherry stoner or the tip of a vegetable peeler) – or halve, remove stones, then chop, poach, or puree. Whole or halved cherries keep best.
Tips on cooking
- Cooking is not necessary, but always remove the stones before giving cherries to baby.
- Poach gently in very little water, and puree if desired.
Ideas for ways of including cherries in your baby’s meals
- Puree or chop cherries and mix with apple puree, mashed banana, blueberries or peaches.
- Add to mashed, cooked sweet potato, brown rice, couscous or lentils.
- Add to pureed cooked chicken.
- Mix into plain yogurt.
Please remember: Always consult your baby’s paediatrician or doctor about introducing new foods.
This information presented to you acts as a guide which contains researched information only and is not intended to replace advice from a qualified health professional.
More about Baby RecipesAt babyrecipes.org there is lots of very useful information that is right here on our baby recipes website. There are easy to use baby food guides, making baby food and related topics to help you feed your baby with lots of care. There is a wide range of baby food information available to you which will better inform you when it comes to the health and safety of your baby. Learn about what baby food you should introduce to your baby and at what age. Find out more about what the benefits of individual baby food and how they can be good for your baby.
There is a great range of baby recipes for you to choose from. The baby recipes are easy to find and easy to follow with step by step instructions. When cooking food for baby you only want the best naturally. Our baby recipes provides the best food baby will need, full of nutrition and well balanced. Having a baby is an all consuming experience and this baby recipes website has been put together to help parents have a great resource to refer to as a guide or when you want to cook up tasty baby food from one of our baby recipes for your baby.