Baby Food for baby
Grapes are highly nutritious and may be introduced after 6 months of age. However, their skin and shape make them unsuitable for giving whole – this can present a choking hazard. They may be skinned then sieved or chopped for serving alone or adding to other foods, although skinning reduces some nutritional value.
Grapes are good for baby (and you)
Grapes – particularly the red and black varieties – are high in antioxidants, which strengthen the body’s ability to fight infection and disease. They are also a good source of flavonoids which are thought to benefit heart health by protecting against the ‘unhealthy’ type of cholesterol.
Hints on buying and storing
- Buy organic whenever possible – grapes are usually on the ‘dirty dozen’ list of foods liable to be highly contaminated with pesticides.
- Avoid grapes from Latin or South America – these countries still use pesticides banned elsewhere.
- Seedless varieties are convenient for giving to a baby.
- Pick up a bunch and if some fall, do not buy – they are past their best.
- Grapes are delicate, with a short ‘shelf life’ – look for a fresh appearance with no dullness or discolouration, and use as soon as possible.
- Freeze peeled, seedless grapes whole – puree and include in other dishes.
Tips on cooking
- Serve raw, or include in other cooked dishes.
- Prepare just prior to using – wash well, peel, deseed by sieving if necessary, then chop or blend.
Ideas for ways of including grapes in your baby’s meals
- Add to mashed avocado, blueberries, peaches or pears.
- Include with cooked carrot, sweet potato, summer squash, courgette (zucchini).
- Add to pureed cooked chicken.
- Mix into yogurt.
Please remember: Always consult your baby’s paediatrician or doctor about introducing new foods.
This information presented to you acts as a guide which contains researched information only and is not intended to replace advice from a qualified health professional.
More about Baby RecipesAt babyrecipes.org there is lots of very useful information that is right here on our baby recipes website. There are easy to use baby food guides, making baby food and related topics to help you feed your baby with lots of care. There is a wide range of baby food information available to you which will better inform you when it comes to the health and safety of your baby. Learn about what baby food you should introduce to your baby and at what age. Find out more about what the benefits of individual baby food and how they can be good for your baby.
There is a great range of baby recipes for you to choose from. The baby recipes are easy to find and easy to follow with step by step instructions. When cooking food for baby you only want the best naturally. Our baby recipes provides the best food baby will need, full of nutrition and well balanced. Having a baby is an all consuming experience and this baby recipes website has been put together to help parents have a great resource to refer to as a guide or when you want to cook up tasty baby food from one of our baby recipes for your baby.