Peaches & Nectarines
Baby Food for baby
Nectarines are, basically, a ‘fuzz-free’ variety of peach. They have identical nutritional value, and similar flavours, though nectarines may be redder in colour, smaller and more fragrant. Both are delicious and juicy, and gentle on the digestive system – so good to introduce when baby reaches 6 months of age.
Peaches and nectarines are good for baby (and you):
Peaches and nectarines contain high levels of vitamins A and C, as well as potassium – which the body cannot manufacture, and is important to healthy growth, muscle development, heart activity, and nerve function.
They also contain lots of fibre, so are helpful in preventing or treating constipation – though don’t give baby too many!
Hints on buying and storing:
- Buying organic is recommended – peaches and nectarines are on the ‘dirty dozen’ list for high risk of pesticide contamination.
- Choose fruit with no damage, bruising or brown spots.
- Press gently – the fruit should ‘give’ slightly, but still be firm.
- Use as soon as possible, as refrigerating reduces the flavour, but they may soften quite quickly at room temperature and go past their best.
Tips on cooking:
- Cooking is not actually necessary – and reduces nutritional value.
- Always wash well, then cut an X on one side and place X-down to steam, or poach or bake in very little water, until soft. It will be easy to peel the cooled fruit and remove the stone.
Ideas for ways of including peaches and nectarines in your baby’s meals:
- Mash or puree and add to baby cereals such as rice or oatmeal (porridge).
- Mix with apple puree, mashed banana, blueberries, or avocado.
- Add to pureed cooked carrot, squash or sweet potato.
- Combine in chicken or pork dishes.
- Mix into yogurt.
Please remember: Always consult your baby’s paediatrician or doctor about introducing new foods.
This information presented to you acts as a guide which contains researched information only and is not intended to replace advice from a qualified health professional.
More about Baby RecipesAt babyrecipes.org there is lots of very useful information that is right here on our baby recipes website. There are easy to use baby food guides, making baby food and related topics to help you feed your baby with lots of care. There is a wide range of baby food information available to you which will better inform you when it comes to the health and safety of your baby. Learn about what baby food you should introduce to your baby and at what age. Find out more about what the benefits of individual baby food and how they can be good for your baby.
There is a great range of baby recipes for you to choose from. The baby recipes are easy to find and easy to follow with step by step instructions. When cooking food for baby you only want the best naturally. Our baby recipes provides the best food baby will need, full of nutrition and well balanced. Having a baby is an all consuming experience and this baby recipes website has been put together to help parents have a great resource to refer to as a guide or when you want to cook up tasty baby food from one of our baby recipes for your baby.