Baby Food for baby
Some information about tofu for you to consider…
- In some countries and cultures tofu has been part of the diet for many years.
- A nutritious food, tofu is a good source of iron, protein and calcium.
- It is also very versatile – it can be eaten raw, or cooked in various ways, including being added to grain dishes and soups.
- Tofu may serve as a substitute for meats, due to its nutritional content.
- There are three types of tofu: soft, firm, and silken. Of the three, firm tofu is highest in iron and protein and second highest in calcium.
But be aware…
- Tofu is soybean curd made using unfermented soy – and soy products in general are the subject of much discussion and disagreement: some studies prove the health benefits of tofu, some show that it is harmful.
- You should always consult your baby’s paediatrician about specific foods for your baby, especially those that may pose an allergy risk – and certainly don’t give tofu to your baby if he or she has an allergy to soy, or if there is any family history of soy allergy.
- If you decide to give your baby tofu, it is usually offered from the age of about 8 months – as a more complex protein food (like meat and egg yolk) it is sometimes more difficult for an immature system to digest.
Buying, storing, and preparing tofu for your baby…
- If possible always buy organic and non-genetically modified (non-GMO) tofu.
- Remove the tofu from its packaging, drain the water, and blot the tofu dry with a paper towel. Blend, mash, or slice it into small cubes as needed for your recipe.
- Tofu may be stored in a refrigerator for up to 7 days.
- Store it in a container of water that is airtight, changing the water every 1/2 days.
- Tofu may be frozen, but it will become quite spongy in texture and may turn dark in colour.
- Thaw frozen tofu at room temperature – do not use a microwave.
Tofu is great if your baby is learning to use a spoon, as it clings to the spoon well…
- Blend tofu with wheat germ and a banana, or other fruit such as apple, strawberries, blueberries or pears.
- Use silken tofu with fruit, yogurt, and fruit juice to create smoothies for your baby.
- Put cubes of tofu into soups or broth – before seasoning – then remove the cubes and give them to your baby.
- Use it as an alternative to meats in soups.
- Cube tofu and fry it gently in olive oil – add any seasonings that your baby enjoys.
- Mash tofu with cottage cheese, avocado or with hummus.
- Add any seasonings that baby enjoys and use in chunks as finger food, or mash to make a sandwich spread.
- Cut soft or firm tofu into bite-sized cubes, dust with wheat germ, or well-crushed Cheerios or crackers, and serve as finger food.
- Make tofu ‘burgers’- mash tofu with bread crumbs or baby cereal, cooked, finely chopped onion or vegetable puree (depending on your baby’s age), and your baby’s favourite seasonings.
This information presented to you acts as a guide which contains researched information only and is not intended to replace advice from a qualified health professional.
More about Baby RecipesAt babyrecipes.org there is lots of very useful information that is right here on our baby recipes website. There are easy to use baby food guides, making baby food and related topics to help you feed your baby with lots of care. There is a wide range of baby food information available to you which will better inform you when it comes to the health and safety of your baby. Learn about what baby food you should introduce to your baby and at what age. Find out more about what the benefits of individual baby food and how they can be good for your baby.
There is a great range of baby recipes for you to choose from. The baby recipes are easy to find and easy to follow with step by step instructions. When cooking food for baby you only want the best naturally. Our baby recipes provides the best food baby will need, full of nutrition and well balanced. Having a baby is an all consuming experience and this baby recipes website has been put together to help parents have a great resource to refer to as a guide or when you want to cook up tasty baby food from one of our baby recipes for your baby.