Baby Food for baby
Older children often enjoy a refreshing piece of cucumber on a hot day, so a small amount of peeled, de-seeded, mashed cucumber may refresh your baby – but beware of giving too much!
Cucumber is good for baby (and you):
Mostly water, cucumbers are not entirely ‘nutrition-free’ as they are quite a good source of vitamins A and C. They also contain the minerals calcium – important for bone and tooth development – and potassium for brain function, muscle development, and maintaining a healthy nervous system.
- Choose a cucumber that is firm, with no damage or discolouration.
- A soft, or slightly squashy cucumber is about to rot.
- Cucumbers are available all year, but summer ones may be more natural – if they are hot-house grown they have less flavour.
- Store, unwrapped, in the vegetable compartment of the refrigerator.
- Only cut them when you are about to use them – they last longer uncut.
- Use within a few days of buying.
Tips on cooking:
- Do not cook cucumber.
- Peel, de-seed, and mash to combine with other foods.
Ideas for ways of including cucumber in your baby’s meals:
- Mix a little mashed or pureed cucumber with cooked apple.
- Add to other cooked vegetables – courgette (zucchini), green beans.
- Stir a little into plain yogurt for a really refreshing taste.
Please remember: Always consult your baby’s paediatrician or doctor about introducing new foods.
This information presented to you acts as a guide which contains researched information only and is not intended to replace advice from a qualified health professional.
More about Baby RecipesAt babyrecipes.org there is lots of very useful information that is right here on our baby recipes website. There are easy to use baby food guides, making baby food and related topics to help you feed your baby with lots of care. There is a wide range of baby food information available to you which will better inform you when it comes to the health and safety of your baby. Learn about what baby food you should introduce to your baby and at what age. Find out more about what the benefits of individual baby food and how they can be good for your baby.
There is a great range of baby recipes for you to choose from. The baby recipes are easy to find and easy to follow with step by step instructions. When cooking food for baby you only want the best naturally. Our baby recipes provides the best food baby will need, full of nutrition and well balanced. Having a baby is an all consuming experience and this baby recipes website has been put together to help parents have a great resource to refer to as a guide or when you want to cook up tasty baby food from one of our baby recipes for your baby.