12 – 36 months
250 grams (8 ounces) of casserole lamb (trimmed lean shoulder or leg)
1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
1 small garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped
1 tablespoon of olive oil
½ teaspoon of ground coriander
½ teaspoon of ground paprika
1 pinch of ground ginger
1 pinch of ground cinnamon
1 bay leaf
½ a red pepper (capsicum), de-seeded and chopped
2 tablespoons of natural yogurt
½ cup of canned tomatoes
1 teaspoon of finely chopped fresh coriander (cilantro)
1. Pre-heat the oven to 190C (375F).
2. Blend the ground coriander and paprika to a thin paste with a little of the water.
3. Cut the lamb into small cubes.
4. Heat the oil in a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat then reduce heat to medium/low, add the onion and garlic and stir to coat in the oil.
5. Cook gently for 4-5 minutes – stirring often to avoid burning the garlic – then add the ground ginger and cinnamon with the bay leaf and stir/fry for 2 minutes.
6. Stir in the paprika/coriander paste and continue cooking for 4 minutes, stirring frequently, until the water is absorbed and everything well combined.
7. Place the mixture in a casserole dish and roughly mix in the lamb, tomatoes, red pepper, yogurt, and 1-2 tablespoons of the water.
8. Put on a lid and place in the oven for 30 minutes, then remove to stir everything, replace the lid, and return to the oven for a further 30 minutes.
9. Remove from the oven and stir in the fresh coriander, then cool and chop or process as desired and serve with softly cooked rice.