There are many kinds of melon – some of the most popular being Cantaloupe and similar orange-fleshed varieties, due to increased nutritional values.
All varieties are nutritious, and their delicate taste and texture are acceptable to the most discriminating babies! Easy to prepare, melon makes a great early food, and may be introduced at about 8 months of age. Slight acidity may cause rashes, but melon is non-allergenic.
Melons are good for baby (and you):
All varieties contain high levels of vitamins A and C, and good amounts of calcium. Orange-fleshed melons like Cantaloupe are even more nutritious – particularly rich in beta-carotene, which is wonderful for healthy eye and vision development.
Tips on Buying and Storing:
- Melons are not among the ‘dirty dozen’, so unlikely to be contaminated with pesticides.
- Cantaloupes are the most contamination-free of any fruit or vegetable.
- Drum a melon with your fingertips – ripe melons sound ‘hollow’.
- There should be a fresh, fruity fragrance, and no marks or soft brown spots on the skin.
- Melon will ripen if kept at normal room temperature.
- Store ripe whole melons in the refrigerator – except watermelons, which should be kept somewhere dry and cool.
- Any cut melon should be stored in the refrigerator, with the cut surface covered.
Tips on cooking:
- No need to cook – just peel, de-seed, and chop or mash.
Ideas for ways of including melons in your baby’s meals:
- Use as finger food.
- Mix, chopped or mashed, with banana, avocado, peach, or blueberries.
- Mash with cooked carrot, summer squash, or courgette (zucchini).
- Add to cooked chicken.
- Mash and stir into yogurt.
Please remember: Always consult your baby’s paediatrician or doctor about introducing new foods.
This information presented to you acts as a guide which contains researched information only and is not intended to replace advice from a qualified health professional.
More about Baby Recipes
At babyrecipes.org there is lots of very useful information that is right here on our baby recipes website. There are easy to use baby food guides, making baby food and related topics to help you feed your baby with lots of care. There is a wide range of baby food information available to you which will better inform you when it comes to the health and safety of your baby. Learn about what baby food you should introduce to your baby and at what age. Find out more about what the benefits of individual baby food and how they can be good for your baby.
There is a great range of baby recipes for you to choose from. The baby recipes are easy to find and easy to follow with step by step instructions. When cooking food for baby you only want the best naturally. Our baby recipes provides the best food baby will need, full of nutrition and well balanced. Having a baby is an all consuming experience and this baby recipes website has been put together to help parents have a great resource to refer to as a guide or when you want to cook up tasty baby food from one of our baby recipes for your baby.