Authorities in the EU, the UK, and in Canada recommend meat as a first food for babies, because of the heme iron that all meats contain – meaning that pork may be introduced from as early as 6 months of age.
Many paediatricians, though, still recommend delaying the introduction of any meats until around 8 months of age – consult your own paediatrician or doctor about what is best for your baby.
Selecting, storing and preparing pork for your baby…
- Pork freezes well, and packaged pork will usually have a ‘freeze-by’ date on the label – do not keep it in a refrigerator beyond this date. Freeze pork on the day you buy it, or cook it and use it within 1 or 2 days.
- Buy middle-cut roast or middle-cut chops that have relatively little fat.
- Pork tenderloin will give the softest results, and will seldom be dry when roasted.
- Baking or roasting give the best flavour, and help retain the most nutrients in any meat – including pork.
- Roast pork in an oven, at190-200C (375-400F) for 20 minutes per 500gm (pound).
- Crockpot or slow-cooker methods are also good choices. Pork (with vegetables and maybe fruits), slow-cooked all day on a low setting,is tasty, nutritious and convenient.
This information presented to you acts as a guide which contains researched information only and is not intended to replace advice from a qualified health professional.
More about Baby Recipes
At babyrecipes.org there is lots of very useful information that is right here on our baby recipes website. There are easy to use baby food guides, making baby food and related topics to help you feed your baby with lots of care. There is a wide range of baby food information available to you which will better inform you when it comes to the health and safety of your baby. Learn about what baby food you should introduce to your baby and at what age. Find out more about what the benefits of individual baby food and how they can be good for your baby.
There is a great range of baby recipes for you to choose from. The baby recipes are easy to find and easy to follow with step by step instructions. When cooking food for baby you only want the best naturally. Our baby recipes provides the best food baby will need, full of nutrition and well balanced. Having a baby is an all consuming experience and this baby recipes website has been put together to help parents have a great resource to refer to as a guide or when you want to cook up tasty baby food from one of our baby recipes for your baby.